Home Inspection and Real Estate Forum for Home Inspectors and Real Estate Professionals
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics  
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
[Logo]












What is a Home Inspection?
Inspector Pro Reporting and the Samsung Galaxy EK-GC110 16.3 MP Digital Camera  XML
Forum Index » Inspection Report Writing
Author Message
SheehanThomson
Jedi
[Avatar]

Joined: 06/18/2014 11:28 PM EDT
Messages: 1715
Offline

I went through 3 in a year.

Problem: dust kept getting on or in the lens somehow and dots would show up on my pictures.

www.UtahHomeInspectionHQ.com
www.ChooseOnSite.com
www.UtahHomeInspectionPro.com
www.GoUtahHomeInspection.com

Utah Home Inspection Company providing inspections in Provo, Orem, Springville, Pleasant Grove, Lehi, Eagle Mountain, Sandy, West Valley City, Salt Lake City, & More!

Your Utah Home Inspector,
Sheehan D. Thomson
www.HomeInspectorPro.com
(Best Reporting Software Out There!)
scotbaker
General

Joined: 07/01/2014 10:28 AM EDT
Messages: 1358
Offline

SheehanThomson wrote:I went through 3 in a year.

Problem: dust kept getting on or in the lens somehow and dots would show up on my pictures.


Canned air works great for that, gotta keep it tuned up.
Chad D
Batman
[Avatar]

Joined: 06/24/2014 08:55 AM EDT
Messages: 782
Location: Marquette Heights (Peoria) IL
Offline

TriCounty wrote: I think I paid around $380 (new not refurbished) online for the camera.

The largest pro is it is incredibly easy to carry and snap photos over my tablet or phone like device. You actually have something to hold onto. The flash and zoom is far better then a tablet and I don't have to hold a flashlight and juggle another device. It also records HD video which are inserted into HIP on the page your recorded them so the video starts when the client is on that page of the report.

Just getting started with HIP so it is a learning process switching software programs.



Ive been eyeing this for a while. My local Costco has it for $250-$300. Once you get used to it, I would love to hear an inspector's review. I like the fact that I'm not draining my phone's battery just for the sake of taking pictures and video. I'm not happy about switching to an android device (I'm an Apple Junkie), but if it makes life easier than I'm willing to pony up the money.

Chad Dunham
Eagle's Nest Inspections
Home Inspections
203K Consulting
Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) Testing
Radon Testing
Mold Testing
309-323-0252
http://www.peoriailhomeinspections.com
[WWW]
Troy Pappas
49er
[Avatar]

Joined: 06/18/2014 09:02 PM EDT
Messages: 330
Location: Virginia Beach
Offline

Chad D wrote: I'm not happy about switching to an android device (I'm an Apple Junkie), but if it makes life easier than I'm willing to pony up the money.


I do 3-4 inspections a day on my phone. I put it on charger in between inspections and it is fine all day. I really makes my life easier being able to collect data and take pictures on the same device during the inspection.

Hampton Roads Home Inspections

www.SafeHousePropertyInspections.com

www.virginiahomeinspector.us



Call 757-418-0944 to schedule now!
[Email] [WWW]
Chad D
Batman
[Avatar]

Joined: 06/24/2014 08:55 AM EDT
Messages: 782
Location: Marquette Heights (Peoria) IL
Offline

TriCounty wrote:I have the Samsung Galaxy MP Digital Camera and loaded Home Inspector Pro onto it and so far so good. I have not used it on an inspection yet through.

Is anyone using this camera with HIP?

What are the pro's and con's of using this device if any?

I think once I am up and running with it will work really slick.

Thanks


Do you use Radalink for your radon testing? Are you using the Samsung to communicate with your Radalink monitors?

Chad Dunham
Eagle's Nest Inspections
Home Inspections
203K Consulting
Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) Testing
Radon Testing
Mold Testing
309-323-0252
http://www.peoriailhomeinspections.com
[WWW]
TriCounty
Wizard
[Avatar]

Joined: 10/03/2014 09:39 PM EDT
Messages: 186
Location: Wisconsin
Offline

I do not use Radalink so the answer is nope.

I was rather unimpressed with them at the Power User Conference (sorry Nathan) and their ability to answer my questions.

The area I am in is high in radon and 75% of my inspections (home) include radon testing which I charge $150 for.

I run a large volume of monitors (RS300) that I pay around $800 for. I pay $150 per year to calibrate each monitor. I was quoted $150/month to lease a single Radalink monitor. For me that would amount to over 18k a year and I'm adding new monitors every year. Yes, the report may be better. Yes, the documentation may be better. However I don't know how I can justify spending +18K annually for radon monitors. I could Throw my monitors away every year and buy new ones and come out ahead. Plus the monitors hold their value extremely well over time. You can sell a used monitor for very close to what you paid for it.

If I was operating 1-3 monitors, maybe this would be advantages? Am I missing something?

Sorry to go off topic.

Aaron Marjala MBA, MSM
Certified Inspection Expert
Master Home Inspector
Tri County Home Inspection, LLC
262.225.6998
414.433.4983
888.290.7646
WisconsinInspection.com
MinnesotaInspection.com
IllinoisInspection.com
Aaron@WisconsinInspection.com
[Email] [WWW]
William Chandler
General
[Avatar]

Joined: 06/23/2014 04:28 AM EDT
Messages: 1358
Location: Florida
Offline

Troy Pappas wrote:
Chad D wrote: I'm not happy about switching to an android device (I'm an Apple Junkie), but if it makes life easier than I'm willing to pony up the money.


I do 3-4 inspections a day on my phone. I put it on charger in between inspections and it is fine all day. I really makes my life easier being able to collect data and take pictures on the same device during the inspection.


do you use HIP or HG, Troy?

Property360, LLC
www.TheBuildingInspector.net
www.360pestpro.com
www.inspectnewhome.com
www.property360concierge.com
www.mold360.com
homeinspectionflorida.us/
jacksonvillehomeinspectionguide.com
orlandohomeinspectionguide.com
thecommercialbuildinginspector.com
ASHI Certified Inspector
Certified Master Inspector
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts"
[WWW]
Kevin Moore
Bon Jovi
[Avatar]

Joined: 06/18/2014 08:58 PM EDT
Messages: 643
Location: Buffalo NY
Offline

TriCounty wrote:I do not use Radalink so the answer is nope.

I was rather unimpressed with them at the Power User Conference (sorry Nathan) and their ability to answer my questions.

The area I am in is high in radon and 75% of my inspections (home) include radon testing which I charge $150 for.

I run a large volume of monitors (RS300) that I pay around $800 for. I pay $150 per year to calibrate each monitor. I was quoted $150/month to lease a single Radalink monitor. For me that would amount to over 18k a year and I'm adding new monitors every year. Yes, the report may be better. Yes, the documentation may be better. However I don't know how I can justify spending +18K annually for radon monitors. I could Throw my monitors away every year and buy new ones and come out ahead. Plus the monitors hold their value extremely well over time. You can sell a used monitor for very close to what you paid for it.

If I was operating 1-3 monitors, maybe this would be advantages? Am I missing something?

Sorry to go off topic.


That seems very expensive for 1 monitor, maybe if it was 3-4

Kevin Moore
HomeChex
Radonpro Inc
www.buffalo-home-inspector.com
www.radonaid.com
(716)418-0694
[Email] [WWW]
 
Forum Index » Inspection Report Writing
Go to:   
© 2014 Inspector Services Group