Mike Casey wrote:
Please see below from CREIA, this applies to all California Home Inspectors, you will be forced to inspect certain pool components per this legislation. This was introduced with no consultation with CA home inspectors.
CREIA Legislative Alert and Call to Action
September 2, 2016
CREIA membership, we have an urgent and immediate request that you contact the Governor's office and ask him to veto AB470.
The bill would require home inspectors, as part of a home inspection, to verify that at least 2 of the 7 specfiic pool safety provisions were present at the time of the inspection. Click here to view the bill. http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160AB470
This bill passed both houses and is on the way to the Governor for signature.
We want the Governor to veto this bill because:
• Most CREIA inspectors are not qualified to do what is required under this bill and many may not have E&O insurance covering pool-related issues.
• It will require extra time and therefore extra cost for the client.
• Inspection software will have to be rewritten to accommodate the additional work.
• Several of the features will require the inspector to verify compliance with testing lab (ASTM) standards for such features.
• There will also be logistics to work out; e.g., how to know or determine if a feature meets such a standard without available documentation on site.
• CREIA will need to provide standards and training for this additional work.
Our chances of a veto are slim. However, the outcome, if we do nothing is almost a given.
Contact Governor Brown at (916) 445-2841 and request his veto now.